Based on the Genesis story of Jacob wrestling with an angel, the composer takes the narrative from Genesis and but adds love poetry from the Song of Songs along with his own words to explore the strange homo-erotic relationship between the Angel and Jacob.
In 5 movements:
1) Nocturne - Jacob was wrestling in the arms of a stranger
2) Ludus- They explored each other's strength in tender repetition
3) Aubade - And the Angel said let me go, for day breaketh
4) Love Song- His head is as the most fine gold
5) Envoi- Lucky, lucky Jacob
First performed by FifteenB and the Camerata Santa Dorotea, conductor Paul Ayres in April 1999. Duration 15 minutes.
“Your comments about Kapustin are entirely accurate! I'm certain to be ordering much of it in the near future.” Ben, Lincoln, USA
“Thank you for the information and support. The order arrived today without any problems.” Denis, Sao Paolo, Brazil